Manchester United news: Memphis Depay explains how he was treated like a ‘naughty child’ during his time at Old Trafford

Manchester United news: Memphis Depay explains how he was treated like a ‘naughty child’ during his time at Old Trafford
Former Manchester United winger Memphis Depay claims he was treated like a ‘naughty child’ by Louis van Gaal during his underwhelming spell with the Red Devils.The Dutch forward failed to make an impact at Old Trafford, scoring just two Premier League goals in as many years, before joining Lyon in 2017.Depay has gone from strength to strength since leaving Unitedgetty2
Depay has gone from strength to strength since leaving United
Since then, the 25-year-old has emerged as one of the most gifted players in Europe and in his new autobiography, he explains how he has matured as an individual.Depay reveals that he approached Ryan Giggs for advice on how to improve as a winger, while former Red Devils boss Van Gaal had different ideas.“After I lost my spot in the starting line-up, I asked assistant coach Ryan Giggs to do extra training with me,” Memphis said in his book ‘Heart of a Lion’. “To work on my crosses with my left foot, to become a better winger. After a while Van Gaal asked me to come to his office. He said that there was nothing wrong with my left foot and that the extra training with Giggs was nonsense. Its all in your head, he also told me.“That struck me. I mean, what could be wrong with trying to become a better player, with the help of a former top-winger like Ryan Giggs? More and more I got the feeling I could do nothing good according to Van Gaal.“Later Van Gaal came to me and told me I had to talk with a mental coach he personally knew. My answer was that I wanted to think about that.7. Memphis Depay (winger)getty2
Depay was a shadow of his current self at Old Trafford
“I was still confident that I would succeed at United, as soon as I was adapted to the higher level of football and to my new life in England.“Later on Van Gaal kept on saying that I needed to talk to that mental coach. It would benefit my focus and concentration level, he said. But I didnt feel like talking to a stranger, also because I had my own mental coach since I was twelve already.“Deep inside I felt that it would cause a problem if I didnt do what Van Gaal told me. But I didnt want to be an actor and pretend that I thought it was a good thing to do. Just to please the manager.

LIVE ON talkSPORT

talkSPORT is your home of live football! Here's what's coming up on talkSPORT and talkSPORT 2...
  • France vs South Korea (Friday, 8pm) – talkSPORT
  • Denmark vs Republic of Ireland (Friday, 7:45pm) – talkSPORT 2
  • Croatia vs Wales (Saturday, 2pm) – talkSPORT
  • England vs Scotland (Sunday, 5pm) – talkSPORT
“After my third refusal to talk to that mental coach, Van Gaal didnt speak to me for a long time. I think hes finished with you when you dont follow his advice.“He kept putting me on the bench and at the end of the season he spoke to me again: to say that next year would be even more difficult to me, because United was going to buy new strikers.“Before the last game of the season, the FA Cup-final against Crystal Palace, he even put me on the stands. Like a teacher does at school with a naughty child.”

Out of Spurs Champions League semi-final with Ajax on Tuesday, the South Korean is sure-fire for 90 minutes on Saturday against West Ham. Its also handy hes got three goals and five assists against the Hammers in his previous five matches.

Nevertheless, it is the visitors who come into Wednesday's clash as 19/20 (1.95) favourites to claim a vital victory.. Aberdeen are aiming for a third successive win against the 'Gers and are
Rangers successful with Alfredo Morelos red card appeal

The midfielder has been eyed up by some of the Premier League big boys in recent months

Jermain Defoe explains why he chose Rangers over Crystal Palace. The striker has moved to Ibrox on an 18-month loan despite interest from the top flight in England.
Rangers transfer news: Jermain Defoe wants to - express.co.uk

Andreas Christensen in action for Chelsea

Burnley man Ashley Barnes KISSES Cardiff's Joe Bennett during Premier League clash, both players yellow carded Written by: fpnews Posted on: April 13, 2019 As the cliché goes, it's a funny old game.
Burnley man Ashley Barnes KISSES Cardiff's Joe Bennett during
hollywoodadviser.com/burnley-man-ashley-barnes-kisses-cardiffs-joe-bennett-during-premier-league-clash-both-players-yellow-carded/
Burnley man Ashley Barnes KISSES Cardiff's Joe Bennett during Premier League clash, both players yellow carded both players received a yellow card in the
Burnley man Ashley Barnes KISSES Cardiff's Joe Bennett during

Rio Ferdinand has had his say

Top 10 player-managers in English football include legends from Chelsea, Liverpool and Rangers as Vincent Kompany takes up new role at Anderlecht up his boots in 1987 and led Liverpool to
Top 10 player-managers in English football include legends

Gomes has committed 36 fouls so far this season

Maurizio Sarri has admitted that the prospect of Chelsea closing the gap on Manchester City and Liverpool next season will be extremely difficult without new signings after the club's 12-month
Chelsea can't compete with a transfer ban, says Sarri - rte.ie

Ian Poulter in action in Georgia.
Derby County beat Southampton on penalties in FA Cup

Tottenham got the draw they needed in Barcelona
Manchester City vs Liverpool: Pep Guardiola reveals Kevin De

Holmes reported the alleged abuse to his manager

Nicolas Tagliafico only joined Ajax this year, but is already being linked with Arsenal. Who is the Argentine full-back and why might Unai Emery want him? Nicolas Alejandro Tagliafico was born in Buenos Aires in August 1992, and got his break at local side Banfield.
Arsenal bid £8million for Ajax and Argentina defender Nicolas

Fiorentina fans paid tribute to Davide Astori

There's a huge difference Van Persie has had three great years at Feyenoord, winning the UEFA Cup. Van Nistelrooij had three brilliant years at PSV. Winning 4 prizes or something. Well, prizes don't really matter here but they had proven themselves in a few consecutive years. Whereas Janssen has only played in the Eredivisie for one year.
Tottenham's incredible numbers, Sunderland finally score and

Messi inspired Barcelona to a 3-0 win in the first leg of their semi-final against Liverpool

Chelsea Sheffield Wednesday live score (and video online live stream*) starts on 27.1.2019. at 18:00 UTC time at Stamford Bridge stadium, London, England in FA Cup - England. Here on SofaScore livescore you can find all Chelsea vs Sheffield Wednesday previous results sorted by their H2H matches. Links to Chelsea vs. Sheffield Wednesday video
Chelsea vs Sheffield Wednesday: Where to Watch, Live Stream

Replays showed the Ajax goal was onside

Jamie Redknapp backs Brendan Rodgers to succeed at 'huge club' Leicester City after leaving Celtic. "It's a big opportunity for Brendan Rodgers though. Leicester are a huge club."
Jamie Redknapp backs Brendan Rodgers to succeed at 'huge club

Post a Comment

0 Comments